Differences between imrotate on Octave and in MatLab

From: Journeaux, Ian
Subject: Differences between imrotate on Octave and in MatLab
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:49:42 -0600

I am trying to move some analysis originally performed in MatLab to Octave. We are using the image processing toolkit. I thought everything was working correctly but close inspection of the processed images produced a some differences that I am going to have to deal with.

I have an original image. We use imrotate to rotate the image slightly (1-3deg). The unrotated image has some small distinct white spots on it that are about 3-5 pixel in size. The white intensity of the several pixels at the center of the spots are 255 (grayscale images).  After processing with imrotate in Matlab, the shape of the spot is relatively unchanged and the number of pixels with a grayscale intensity of 255 is slightly smaller. I expected the image rotation would cause this so I wasn’t surprised.

Unfortunately when I do the same operation in Octave, there are no pixels at 255 and the white spot is significantly smeared and the max grayscale intensity is only 220-230 range. My analysis procedure is base on the pixels having a gray scale intensity of 250+

I have some sample images that that illustrate the problem if that would be helpful. Are the imrotate defaults for Octave the same as for MatLab?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Ian Journeaux

Manager – Process Technology

NewPage Research

300 North Biron Drive

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin   54495-8050

Phone:             (715) 422-2203

Cell:                 (715) 213-6508

Fax:                  (715) 422-2227

E-Mail: address@hidden

This electronic message contains information from NewPage Corporation or subsidiary companies,
which may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named. If you are not an intended recipient, be
aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this transmission or its
contents is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify NewPage
immediately at address@hidden