rotate 3d graphics

From: Thomas Scofield
Subject: rotate 3d graphics
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:43:25 -0500

I've not kept up on some of the graphics changes over the last 1-2 years in Octave and, frankly, have been confused about how to make them work on a Mac for some time.  That said, I am able to plot 2 and 3-D graphics just fine.  To make it so, I downloaded AquaTerm, and edited .bash_profile to include the line

  export DISPLAY=:0.0

This is ancient history, and perhaps having AquaTerm and the shell instruction are no longer necessary.  At any rate, in the current state, I cannot use a mouse nor arrows to rotate 3D graphics at all.  I came across a nabble entry that this feature has been available in Octave for quite some time, yet I only discovered it on a different computer's installation this past fall.  Nevertheless, I cannot get it to work on my computer.

I'm running Octave 3.2.3 (installed as a binary) on a Mac with OS 10.5.8, and the version of GnuPlot installed is

  gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 6

I presume the command

  octave-3.2.3:8> available_backends
  ans =

  {
    [1,1] = gnuplot
  }

indicates that gnuplot is being used.  My first plot of any session always causes AquaTerm to start up.

Thomas L. Scofield
Associate Professor
Calvin College