Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:38:19 +0100

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Since we are not lawyers, it is not really useful for us to
> argue about whether Mathworks' restriction is legally effective.
> None of us can do more than make it a shot in the dark.
> It may be legally effective in some countries and not in others.
>
> However, the fact that Mathworks is _trying_ to impose this
> restriction cannot be disputed.  And that is enough to give all the
> developers a good reason to be angry at Mathworks.  Therefore, I
> suggest focusing on the attempt, and the bad intentions it reflects,
> and leaving aside the question of whether it achieves its evil aim.

Just for the record and for the fun of it, I had a strange attack of
graphomania and I published a short article about the issue in
root.cz, one of the most popular online computer magazines in our
country:
http://www.root.cz/clanky/jak-omezit-svobodu-aneb-hratky-mathworks-s-licenci-bsd/

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD