Re: Need gcc compiler download link for Windows Vista

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Need gcc compiler download link for Windows Vista
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:33:38 +0900 (JST)

Hello

The GCC(GNU Complier Collection) that are native to MS-Windows is MinGW
(Minimalist GNU for Windows).
The MinGW GCC binaries are provided from two different distributors.
1. http://www.mingw.org/(The project site of MinGW)
2. http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/ (TDM's GCC/mingw32 Builds)

However, MinGW version of octave for windows package which cab be downloaded
from the sourceforge cite
includes the GCC system (C, C++, Fortran).
You need not install it you can find it (octave install
folder)\octave\gcc\3.2.2_gcc-4.3.0\mingw32.

In the bin folder, you can find C, C++, Fortran compliers
mingw32-gcc-4.3.0-dw2.exe
mingw32-g++-4.3.0-dw2.exe
mingw32-gfortran-4.3.0-dw2.exe

Note that Octave-3.2.2/mingw32 uses gcc-4.3.0 (TDM) while Octave-3.2.3/mingw
uses gcc-4.4.0 (MinGW
project itself). You have to use gcc-4.3.0 for Octave-3.2.2/mingw32 (or
earlier) and gcc-4.4.0 for
Octave-3.4.3/mingw32.

BTW, what do you plan to do by gcc compilier?
Do you want to build  Dynamically Linked Functions or standalone program?
If so, you just use mkoctfile command at octave prompt.
The mkoctfile on octave uses GCC in proper way to give oct files and standalone
program.
Please read the section of
Appendix A Dynamically Linked Functions
in the octave manual carefully.