Re: Neophyte: Can I use Octave instead of Matlab in an intro Econometri

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Neophyte: Can I use Octave instead of Matlab in an intro Econometrics Course?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 07:30:27 +0100

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:26 AM, andrewcd <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Carlos.  To clarify:
>
> I will be taking an intro graduate level econometrics course.
>
> We are instructed to use matlab for the problem sets.
>
> If I try to use Octave instead, is something likely to go wrong?

Depends. Note that simply asking this question may have changed the outcome :)

> Is it
> basically a clone?

No. But it's close. A lot of the core Matlab functionality is
duplicated. A number of useful extensions are added, while a lot is
still missing.

> Is matlab:Octave::MSWord:Openoffice?
>
> Or is the relationship different?

It's different. To use your symbolics, the equation
OpenOffice.org:Sun::Octave:X has no solution for X.

I recommend you ask for explicit permission to use Octave in the
course, and possibly give the teacher the information gathered here.

regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer