Re: solving set of inequalities

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: solving set of inequalities
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:09:46 -0500

On 23-Jan-2010, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 8:05 PM, mat95pat <address@hidden> wrote:
| >
| > Hi, I'd like to solve set of inequalities with Octave, but I have no idea
how
| > to do that. For example:
| >
| > x1 + 2x2 <= 0
| > 2x1 + 3x3 <= 0
| > x2 - x3 <= 0
| > x1 + x2 + x3 <=0
| >
| > Does anybody know some function for solving this kind of problem, or method
| > with Octave?
| > Is possible to do that with Octave?
| >
| > Thanks in advance
| > Petr
| > --
|
| This is called linear programming, see "glpk".

What does glpk do if there is no objective to minimize?  I.e., the C
vector is all zeros?  I don't think it can solve a set of
inequalities.

There is a package for semidefinite programming that was once ported
to Octave.  It is still packaged for Debian as octave-sp.  I don't
know whether it is currently maintained.

jwe