Newbie question - how to return a value from Octave?

From: David Aldrich
Subject: Newbie question - how to return a value from Octave?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:26:07 +0000

Hi

I am new to Octave. I want to use Octave in an automated build system to run regression tests. Each regression test will be executed by a Matlab function that will return an integer indicating the test result. I need to be able to invoke that function by running Octave, and for Octave to return the function result.

For example, I want to be able to run something like:

C:\> Octave pi

and for the Windows environment variable %ERRORLEVEL% to be set to 3

(an alternative solution in Linux would be acceptable).

Is this possible and what is the exact command line syntax please?
Best regards
David