print_usage not triggering a backtrace

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: print_usage not triggering a backtrace
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:08:40 -0500

On 18-Jan-2010, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| today I noticed that if a DLD or built-in function throws an error
| through print_usage, backtrace is not generated. Is this intentional?
| Or shall I attempt a fix?

The reason this happens is that the character string that print_usage
sends to the error function ends in a newline character, and the error
function omits backtrace info if the character string it is given ends
in a newline character.

I'm not sure what is best here, but I don't think it was intentional
to omit the backtrace info if the error is raised by print_usage.

It is intentional that the error function omit backtrace info if its
argument ends in a newline character.

Shouldn't we discuss this on the maintainers list?

Thanks,

jwe