variable for filename in fopen

From: Blitz
Subject: variable for filename in fopen
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:11:53 -0800 (PST)

I need to read a bunch of txt files in a directory.  For some reason, fopen
does not like passing a variable instead of an explicitly declared string
(i.e. "File1.txt").  The snippet below creates an array with file names,
then is supposed to open those files, one by one.  If I replace 'reading'
with some string, it works.  As far as I can tell, the variable 'reading' is
a string, so this should work.  Ideas?

list = ls *.txt;
for i = 1:length(list),
    reading = list(i, :)
    fid = fopen(reading, 'r') % open the file
    % do stuff
end;