Re: octave in multiprocessor cpu

From: Thomas Ilnseher
Subject: Re: octave in multiprocessor cpu
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:26:38 +0100

Am Freitag, den 08.01.2010, 14:57 +0100 schrieb Carlo Sartori:
> Hi tom.
> Thank for your fast answer!
>
> I looking for a way to lot the CPU usage in all my core, now when I
> start a octave program i seen in htop only one cpu running at 100% and
> the other 7 are at 0%.

> Normally I don't use big matrices but long
> cycle "for".
This is VERY inperformant in Octave, as the for loop is evaluated by the
interpreter over and over again. The commercial alternative is better in
this regard, as it uses a dynamic recompiler.

But also Matlab can't help you with utilizing multiple cores when you
program your code like this.

To get more performance you should at first try to 'vectorize' your
code.