Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 42, Issue 28

From: johny gaddar
Subject: Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 42, Issue 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 20:43:47 +0530

yes, i am storing the output of the program in .dat kind of file

the file contents look like this.....

0 1
1 3
4 7
7 8

and so on.
there are only two columns. of integers. thats all.
i want to plot second column against first column in octave.
other than this, file does not contain anything else.

regards,
Johny

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Martin Helm <address@hidden> wrote:
Am Sonntag, 13. September 2009 12:59:30 schrieb johny gaddar:
> Hello
>
> i am new user to octave
>
> i have a c program whose output which is two colums of data should be
> plotted by octave as X and Y
> i am using red hat machine.
>
> any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> regards
> Johny

Dear Johny,

from your description I asume that your program creates some file which you
want to read in octave to plot it (is that correct).
Can you provide a simple example of such file to see the format of the numbers
how they are delimited and if the file contains some header?
Then I can give you a hint how to read and display it.

In general you can for example look at csvread and similar functions

help csvread
`csvread' is a function from the file /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/io/csvread.m

 -- Function File: X = csvread (FILENAME)
    Read the matrix X from a file.

    This function is equivalent to
         dlmread (FILENAME, "," , ...)

    See also: dlmread, dlmwrite, csvwrite