Re: Loading ASCII data files quickly

From: macy
Subject: Re: Loading ASCII data files quickly
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:48:32 -0700 (PDT)

> Ok, but this requires sed to be available. My code needs to work with
> non-unixy machines, too.
>

> ----
> Matthias Brennwald, Käferholzstrasse 173, CH-8046 Zürich, +41 44 364
> 17 03

You say a 'few' files?  I just strip off the headers with a text editor:
Notepad, Wordpad, Scilab, etc and then name the stripped file something
simple like d.txt  Then read in d.txt, convert to the variable names I
really wanted, then save the variables using octave with the new name as
.bin file so it's faster next time.

Only works well if it is a 'few' files.

Else, bite my tongue, try python, it's awesome at file manipulations
pre-octave use.

Robert