Re: aquaterm plot display--no axis labels appear

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: aquaterm plot display--no axis labels appear
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:21:41 -0400

On Jul 29, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Elizabeth Clark wrote:

Hi all,

I’m running Octave version 3.2.0 installed from a MacOS X ready to run binary. It’s set up with Gnuplot version 4.2.5 from the same binary distribution. I’m using AquaTerm as my display app and have the following lines in the Gnuplot start script

    DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${ROOT}/lib:${DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH}" \
       open "${ROOT}/lib/AquaTerm.app"

When I use the plot command in Octave, the plot appears as expected, but when I then type in

hold on
xlabel(‘x’)
ylabel(‘y’)
title(‘title’)

The labels generally don’t appear or are cutoff. It looks like the labels are probably plotting outside of the AquaTerm window. The old click-and-expand approach of making the window bigger just makes the plot with its truncated boundaries bigger—still no labels.

Any idea what I need to do to extend the plotting space visible in AquaTerm?

Your help is much appreciated!

Liz

Hi Liz,

Unfortunately, gnuplot doesn't always place the ticklabels and axeslabels in a consistent fashion. For example with aquaterm there is more space between the plot box and and the labels. This has the undesired effect of pushing the text beyond the edge of the figure.

To change the behavior, you can modify the figure position property by ...

        position = get (gcf, "position");
        set (gcf, "position", position + [0.05, 0.05, -.05 -.05])

That should resolve your problem.

You might also try running x11 and using the x11 terminal instead.

To switch to the x11 terminal ...

        close all
        setenv ("GNUTERM=x11")

Ben