Re: From Matlab to Octave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: From Matlab to Octave
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:06:27 -0400

On Jun 26, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Tim wrote:

Hi,
I am thinking about transfering from Matlab to Octave. My major concerns are:

(1) if octave has equivalence of all those toolboxes of Matlab and they are as powerful? For example, the image processing toolbox, statistics toolbox, and the bioinfomatics package?

(2) Is there a lot of work to modify Octave script to Matlab script and vice versa?

If possible please point me to some websites or materials that can help me to decide whether to work in Matlab or Octave.
Thanks and regards!

Welcome to Octave.

Regarding the toolboxes, Octave's can be found at the link below. Octave refers to them as "packages".

        http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.html

Octave can run most Matlab scripts. If you use Matlab's GUI capabilities, take a look at the jhandles package.

        http://octave.sourceforge.net/doc/jhandles.html

The Octave web site documents many differences between Octave and Matlab.

        http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/FAQ.html#MATLAB-compatibility

For me, what makes Octave attractive is that anyone can add features by joining the development community. If you find something missing, please consider contributing.

Ben