Re: "errors" when running plot

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: "errors" when running plot
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:38:33 -0400

On 11-Jun-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:

| On Jun 11, 2009, at 4:46 AM, Francesco Potorti` wrote:
|
| >> One thing is that if you are running a server, superfluous messages
| >> like about
| >> X11 not being set can really [...]
| >
| > I don't fully understand if this is really the same issue, but I
| > have an
| > instance of Octave running in a CGI and creating a PNG plot.  Even
| > if I
| > start the plotting commands with
| >
| >   figure("visible","off")
| >
| > I get
| >
| >   warning: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set
| >
| > in Apache's error log for each invocation of the CGI script.  This
| > happens even with Octave 3.2 rc4.
|
| That warning is from Octave's src/display.cc, which determines the
| resolution (dpi) and size of the screen.
|
| The warning is not triggered by using the graphics backend, but is
| part of the initialization process.

I think the display_info class is only constructed when display info
is needed, and that should currently be only when the root window
object is constructed, and that doesn't happen until some plotting
properties are needed.  I don't see the message when Octave starts.
Maybe you havae some plot-related things in your init files?

jwe