Re:

From: ws
Subject: Re:
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:59:02 +0000 (UTC)

> I don't fully understand if this is really the same issue, but I have an
> instance of Octave running in a CGI and creating a PNG plot.  Even if I
> start the plotting commands with
>
>    figure("visible","off")
>
> I get
>
>    warning: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set
>
> in Apache's error log for each invocation of the CGI script.  This
> happens even with Octave 3.2 rc4.

This is because Octave gives the warning right when it fires up (bad behavior
imho), rather than when someone tries to plot.  It would be better, I think, to
error out on the "plot" command if it isn't possible, execute it silently if it
is possible (making a PNG), and not warn in the beginning at all (since a lot
of people are using Octave in CGI-ish applications).

Moving the discussion to the maintainers list under "Silencing X11 warnings?"