fsolve and parameter dependent functions

From: Kenneth Duncan Strouts
Subject: fsolve and parameter dependent functions
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:57:29 +0100

Say I have a set up like this;

function y = f(x)
  ... stuff ...
endfunction

Then I can call fsolve("f",init) with init specifying initial conditions. And it works really nicely.

However what if the function is to include a parameter,

function y = f(x,p)
  ... stuff ...
endfunction

I want to specify p *when I call* fsolve. Is this possible? One could conceivably pass p through initial conditions and treat it as a variable, however I don't want to do this! Is there a cleaner way to do it?

Thanks!

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.