Re: Problem compiling Octave on Mac OS X

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: Problem compiling Octave on Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 23:53:17 -0400

On May 31, 2009, at 7:44 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On May 31, 2009, at 4:59 PM, ws wrote:
I just ALMOST compiled octave on my mac, linking to the Mac Port
libraries.
[...]
I then ran "make" and it churned away until it exited with the
following error:

ld: Undefined symbols:
_METIS_NodeComputeSeparator
_METIS_NodeND
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [liboctave.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [liboctave] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

It appears that MacPorts expects METIS to be included with the install
of SuiteSparse.

Documentation for SuiteSparese can be found below

        http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/SuiteSparse/

I don't believe Octave uses the METIS code. In addition the METIS
package has a license that is incompatible with Octave's. I recommend
you build your suitesparse to run without METIS.

If you're not planning to redistribute your binary the license incompatibility isn't so terrible. In that case you could "port install metis".

Rob

--
Rob Mahurin
Department of Physics and Astronomy