Re: Windows?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermos
Subject: Re: Windows?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 18:02:27 -0500

2009/5/13 Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden>:
> That's why I'm talking about static vs dynamic linking - dynamic linking
> ensures the GPL code is _separable_ from GPL-incompatible code.

This is a tired issue:

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#The_GPL_in_court

The FSF's opinion is that dynamic linking is a derived work. Others
disagree. It hasn't been tested in court, so who knows if it really is
or not.

However, since no one has attempted to contest this either by dynamic
linking and contesting that it is not a derived work, it is de facto
the working interpretation of the GPL that a dynamically-linked work
falls under the terms of the GPL.

That's all there is to it.

- Jordi G. H.