Re: How to get the prompt to wrap my input?

From: Egholm
Subject: Re: How to get the prompt to wrap my input?
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 03:38:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Michael,

Michael Goffioul-2 wrote:

> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Egholm <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Maybe it's really a matter of configuring "msys" - the hosting shell?!
>
> Are you running octave in MSYS shell or in windows command prompt?
> This makes a difference. I don't think what you want is possible in the
> windows command prompt. However it might work in MSYS rxvt. But
> keep in mind that MSYS rxvt terminal emulation is poor, so other things
> might not work. To start octave correctly in MSYS rxvt, you should use
> the flags --line-editing --interactive, to force interactive mode.

If I start it from the Windows Start menu, it launches it in MSYS (I
think)...
I just tried starting it "manually" from my Cygwin shell - now, there I get
the desired multiline wrapping. However, editing the line makes everything
"explode" - text being repeated, left dangling on the screen.
That could be related to a similar bad rxvt simulation in Cygwin?!

I stumbled across this one describing these Cygwin problems, as well:
http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2008-February/008007.html
Unfortunately, no response...

// Egholm