Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows

From: maiky76
Subject: Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 00:45:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I see that my pov is not shared by many people but I think that's important
to voice it as it is just different and I believe that many engineers like
me would share it.

Bart said in the first message:
“Now... slowly... some of them are trying out Octave on Windows.
However, for now, they are not convinced yet... mostly because they
are not as geekish as I am and they prefer GUI's instead of
command-line interface.”

I don’t think I am confusing the discussion by telling my pov.

I was trained exclusively on UNIX Silicon Graphic workstation for mechanical
calculation ABACUS, Fluent, Sysnoise and I don’t mind Spartan environment
when performance is the only focus.  I do get that Qtoctave is an empty
shell without Octave but for many people octave with no shell is useless,
it’s cynical but that’s MY point.

As pure speculation, let think if Octave could attract more engineers which
represent a much larger population than researchers (who are making their
own stuff anyway). The young engineers are now familiar with GPL and respect
it. They will contribute to Octave maybe not by designing the engine but
certainly by making toolboxes that in return attract more engineers… and
will inevitably attract more money. Let’s imagine a large consulting company
wanting to switch to Octave for budget reasons and pay the equivalent of 50
Matlab licenses (I have no idea how much it would cost but as brilliant
amateurs do it shouldn’t be millions of dollars) to make a GUI and then use
it as Matlab replacement saving them big money.

We are still evaluating Octave but we will certainly give money (equivalent
to Matlab licenses) and publish things as the GPL requires.

I was impolite in my first post so please receive all my respect for the
brilliant job that you all have done.

What about car extremely fast but with no steering wheel or brake pedals no
seat no body work?
 Cheers
Mickael Lefebvre, MEng, MSc.
Acoustic team leader