Re: Use of Octave functions and commands in online version

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: Use of Octave functions and commands in online version
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:07:34 -0400

Hi Gerry, I'm copying back to the mailing list.

On Apr 16, 2009, at 10:23 PM, G. Long wrote:
Rob,

Thank you for your reply.

Last week, while searching on the subject 'online calculators,' I came
across a website giving access to GNU Octave
(www.online-utility.org/math/math_calculator.jsp). The version number
given was 2.1.73 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).

This version of Octave is very old.

Is there a function or command for writing a formatted output? From
the instructions, it seems that 'printf()' is supposed to do that. The
response from the website has been intermittent making familiarization
with Octave difficult. The site was inaccessible yesterday and today.

Last night I discovered that Wikipedia gives a link to a remote
computer with Octave installed (hara.mimuw.edu.pl/weboctave). The
response seems quick and repeatable, unlike the site above. Today, it
was noted that the version of Octave running on the remote computer
changed from the above version to version 3.0.1.

Do you know of any other links providing online access to computers
running Octave?

I don't know of any.

The most common way to run Octave is to download it from octave.org and install on your own computer; that is what we support on this list. If you have trouble running Octave on someone else's web server, you will have to ask that person for help.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Rob Mahurin