Matlab vs. Octave speed of computation

From: lorenzosan
Subject: Matlab vs. Octave speed of computation
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:00:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I am used to work with Matlab, but for economical reason I am switching to
Octave.
I tried ''as it is'' my matlab code in octave and it works!
Now, on a test set of variables, Matlab needs 0.91 s while Octave 15 s.

My question is: is it normal? Or maybe, even if it works, it is better to
change the code (for instance ''end'' in Matlab to ''endfor'' or ''endif'')?
What are your experience?

Thank you very much!
Lorenzo.