Re: octave memory

From: Miroslaw Kwasniak
Subject: Re: octave memory
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:49:54 +0100

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:34:58AM +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 11.02.2009, 15:37 -0500 schrieb John W. Eaton:
> > So why isn't this information returned by the getrusage library
> > function?
>
> Missing functionality in the Linux kernel:
> http://zwillow.blogspot.com/2006/05/broken-getrusage-in-linux.html
>
> >From getrusage(2):
[...]

>From getrusage-test.c (Frank Mayhar, 2007 Google Inc.):

... the ru_maxrss field of struct rusage is not mandated or
specified by POSIX, it is implemented in several Unix
derivatives ...

 *      The test has been run against the following operating systems:
 *              FreeBSD 6.2             PASS
 *              Linux 2.6 (unpatched)   FAIL (unimplemented)
 *              Linux 2.6 (patched)     PASS
 *              MacOSX/Darwin 8.10.1    FAIL (unimplemented)
 *              Solaris/SunOS 5.10      FAIL (unimplemented)

> There's hope, however:
> http://marc.info/?t=123203053700006&r=1&w=2

Yes, Jiri Pirko from Redhat probably solve this problem
finally.

> Jeff, it might be helpful if you weighted in on the kernel discussion
> and give your specific use case. It seems kernel developers don't see a
> use case for the getrusage information.

There are some memory monitor programs/libs - as I know all of
them use /proc/*/status :

Find out the peak memory usage of a process over its
lifetime.
http://dagobah.ucc.asn.au/things/getusage.c

Mem-Monitor is a utility that gives periodic feedback on the
memory and CPU usage of a program.
http://www.cubewano.org/mem-monitor/