Re: Re: Octave review

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: Re: Octave review
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:11:57 +0100

On Feb 7, 2009, at 7:03 PM, address@hidden wrote:

The syntax is identical to Matlab's syntax

It's close, but there are some differences.

What are we missing as far as syntax goes? I thought it was only
specific functions that are missing, or features like object
orientation.

There is very few missing from Octave, but there are quite a few things in Octave that are not in Matlab. Take comments as an example: the '#' works in Octave (and it's the default, in fact), but Matlab does not understand it. Or strings: mystring = "Hello?" will throw an Error in Matlab, but not in Octave.

So, while the statement 'Octave syntax is almost identical to that of Matlab' is usually understood in the sense that Octave syntax is largely compatible with that of Matlab, the reverse is certainly not true. This may be a nice feature, but it may also be considered as a problem (especially if one uses Octave to write code that should also work with Matlab).

Matthias