Re: profiling Octave

From: Andreas Romeyke
Subject: Re: profiling Octave
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:43:57 +0100

Hello,

Am Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:16:24 +0100
schrieb Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden>:

> has anyone experience profiling with gcc/g++?
> I wanted to try profiling Octave to identify hot spots in the
> interpreter, but can't get it to work.
> I configured using configure CFLAGS="-O2 -pg" CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pg"
> LDFLAGS=-pg, then built and ran ./run-octave on a test script.

Do you sure that the options are used recursively to compile all stuff?

> It produced a gmon.out file, but `gprof src/octave' does not show
> anything. So far I was unable to find any useful information how to
> get this working. A similar strategy works on a single sample C++ file
> (g++ -pg, then gprof).

The gmon-file still exists?

The gprof-man-page warns, that "the profiled program must(!) call
"exit" or return normally for the profiling information to be saved in
the gmon.out file.", sure Octave exit normally?

bye Andreas

--
Software Developer / Dipl. Inform. (FH)
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences