Re: How to print from the Octave Shell?

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: How to print from the Octave Shell?
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:09:43 +0000

On 29 Jan 2009, at 15:48, Michael Grossbach wrote:

octave-3.0.3.exe:5> edit diary
error: unable to edit a built-in or compiled function

right, sorry I hadn't actually run this...

Instead of editing diary from within Octave I'd open the diary file with
an editor as notepad.exe or - even better - Scite using the Windows
Explorer context menue "Open with..."-command.

yes, but that would require navigating with explorer to octave's current work directory, which, according to my experience with students, is not a trivial task for those windows users who are not familiar with the command shell...

alternatively I think one can:

1) save the diary file with a different name:

>> diary session_log.txt
>> diary off
>> edit session_log.txt

2) tell edit to look for the file in the current directory

>> diary on
>> diary off
>> edit .\diary

again I don't have access to a widows box right now so you should try it out first,
anyway it works on unix....

HTH, Michael
c.