Data acquisition?

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Data acquisition?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 09:45:58 +0100

Dear all

I have a gas chromatography system in my lab (essentially this: http://www.thermo.com/com/cda/product/detail/0,1055,18759,00.html ). The machine talks to a computer via the serial port and an ethernet connection (to contol the machine and to acquire data). While the system does come with software to control the machine and manage data acquisition, I'm looking for something that gives me a bit more control over the raw data. I thought that maybe Octave would provide a nice basis for such a system. However, I have no clue if and how it will be possible to control the machine from within Octave and get the data into Octave. I tried Google, but I wasn't very sucessful (I also tried a Google search with Matlab instead of Octave). I'd be glad for pointers and comments regarding this idea... is there a way to make Octave or Matlab talk to my machine?

Matthias

--
Matthias Brennwald
Käferholzstrasse 173