Re: compare the executive speed with Matlab

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: compare the executive speed with Matlab
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:58:01 -0500

On  2-Jan-2009, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

| My experiment was more severe.
|
| In both cases I had prepared array (vector in 'octave') of 'sin' function
| arguments, and I wasn't benchmarking the preparation part, I was
| benchmarking just the 'sin' computation part.
|
| Your experiment is not fair in its "C" part since it has int -> double
| conversion while 'octave' part doesn't have it.
|
| I was also measuring time _inside_ the "C" program - to avoid whatever
| startup time artifacts.

If we are to keep discussing this, and you continue to claim a factor
of ~5 difference in execution speed, then show us precisely the C code
and the Octave code you are comparing, and exactly how you ran the
comparisons, etc.

So what version of Octave were you using and how did you compile it
(compiler, version, options, OS, etc.)?

Exactly what C code did you use for comparision, and how did you
compile it?

jwe