Re: -ffast-math option at compling octave in FreeBSD ports ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: -ffast-math option at compling octave in FreeBSD ports ?
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 21:04:01 -0500

On  8-Dec-2008, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

| To:address@hidden, address@hidden
|
| cc.Thomas and Hajaek
|
| First I would like to express thanks to Thomas and Hajaek for their replies.
|
| Due to my writing being poor, I could not represent what I would like to say
| correctly.
|
| I have a little knowledge about -ffast-math option in GCC and the option
perhaps may causes troubles with in the numerical calculation. So this option
should be treated with grate care.

| The questioner in the octave thread in Japan seems to be user of the Free
BSD.  He felt that it was strange that --ffast-math option was described in the
compiling octave in the package of octave in the FreeBSD port.

| I feel that now this is matter of ML of FreeBSD  matter but not that of
octave-help (and/or octave-maintainers).

| However I myself am not a FreeBSD user so that it would be grateful for me if
somebody in these MLs who are users of FreeBSD will answer to his question:

| Why are the -ffast-math option included in the compiling octave in the
FreeBSD port of octave?

I think you should ask the people who packaged Octave for FreeBSD.

Based on the description in the GCC manual, I would generally
recommend against using -ffast-math.

jwe