Re: octave-image package

From: Robert Fong-tom
Subject: Re: octave-image package
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:31:18 -0500

On Nov 20, 2008, at 10:30 AM, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

moving this to macports-users list since this seems to be a MacPorts issue; please remove help-octave from to/cc when responding

Robert Fong-tom wrote:
On Nov 19, 2008, at 1:29 PM, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

I tried porting the Image package using MacPorts, but was
 unsuccessful. Kept getting errors that I did not
understand and the MacPorts  help blog did not clear up
my confusion. I did not try Fik but after my experience
with MacPorts, I am reluctant to waste another week! Bob

I am using MacPorts on Mac OS X 10.4.11. The image package installs and works fine as best as I can tell, although I use only one or two of the provided functions. In macports the package name is "octave- image" and
it is currently at version 1.0.6.

Jonathan,
I am also using OS X 10.4.11. Could it be that the environment settings make a difference? Did you have to install ImageMagick separately?

ImageMagick is a dependency for octave-image. It should be installed via macports automatically when you try to install octave- image.

You are a little unclear about the steps you took to install octave and the octave-forge image package. You should not have installed the octave.app from the dmg file from sourceforge. Instead, you should install everything from macports, by doing:

$ sudo port install octave

and then

$ sudo port install octave-image

What architecture do you have, Intel or PowerPC?

Jonathan

OK, this sounds like the problem. I had Octave 3.0.2 from the sourceforge dmg file. I liked it so then I tried to download the packages there. Actually the Image package is on the SourceForge site (http://octave.sourceforge.net/) . I first tried to download this package but did not have the full functionality. I could not read images of any format.

So then I tried to download using MacPorts. After some initial problems, I was able to install MacPorts itself, but then when I tried to install Octave-image from MacPorts I got errors during the port (unfortunately I did not save the error messages). I used the commands you gave above to port Octave-Image. After searching the MacPorts archive for help and e-mailing MacPorts help blog without success I gave-up on MacPorts and uninstalled Octave. Then I installed Octave dmg file at ver 3.0.3 from SourceForge and this is where I am now.

BTW ... shouldn't the Image package at SourceForge work for me?

My architecture is Intel MacBook Pro with OS X 10.4.11

Bob