Re: bring back gset

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: bring back gset
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:45:55 -0500

On Nov 17, 2008, at 2:13 PM, Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:

Just my 2¢ on the gset -> __gnuplot_set__ -> obsolete transition: I
disagree strongly.

My understanding from other postings is that octave aims to be Matlab
compatible, but I see no reason to restrict everyone to Matlab's
feature set.  I don't care about Matlab compatability, I want to be
able to directly tweak my gnuplot output.  I understand others do want
Matlab compatibility, but they can simply avoid using 'gset'.

Perhaps the better way to do this instead of writing off opportunities
for innovation within octave, is to create an environment setting
'MATLAB_STRICT' or some such, which if set, displays an error/warning
if non-matlab commands are encountered, but if unset doesn't worry
about it.

You could go a step further with this and use the setting as a matlab
version number, so users could even track if they use a feature
unavailable in the specific version of matlab of concern.

Thanks!
  -Ethan

Ethan,

What are the aspects of the plot you'd like to tweak?

If you are interested in more control over the gnuplot stream you can write it to a file and tweak all you like :-)

  drawnow ("x11", "/dev/null", true, gpfile)

However, it is very likely that the Matlab approach will provide you with the flexibility you need, just in a different way. If you can explain what you're looking for we may be able to help.

Ben