Re: MLS code for bounty?

From: Butler
Subject: Re: MLS code for bounty?
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:21:29 -0500

Thanks for the reply Jordi. Details, then:

Again, I should mention up front that my math skills are pretty much non-existent so if I seem to know anything about the below that is just due to me trying hard to understand my problem and researching but does not indicate any level of true understanding. I am weird in that while my math skills don't exist, I have some understanding of programming.

I am a sound engineer attempting to create some flat panel sound diffusers (based on ideas from a paper given at an Audio Engineering Society convention in NYC some years ago-historically, diffusion panels must have great depth to work, often causing an architectural dilemma since who wants to give up several feet of space next to a wall in their control room. The idea behind this new-ish design is essentially to substitute absorption for depth) for use in my recording studio. This involves creating a (acoustically) reflective mask with a pseudo-random arrangement of holes to cover an absorptive panel. Grid cell dimensions are immaterial to this process but in this initial case will be 1" squares.

My understanding is that I need to generate a binary m-sequence a/k/a maximum length sequence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_length_sequence

... to be mapped onto a specific grid (in this initial case 49x30) via the Chinese Remainder Theorem.

Not having much of a budget for MatLab, it seems like Octave, as an open source solution, would be ideal. What I would like is code to generate an m-sequence and next a grid, based on the grid dimensions. So grid dimensions are input first, then an m-sequence that can be mapped to them generated, then that m-sequence mapped. It's my understanding that the top/side dimensions of the grid must be coprime for this to work, which (yes, this is the er, depth of my ignorance) I believe 49x30 would be.

There may also be some considerations vis a vis a convenient output format, but first-thoughts? Does this sound possible? Difficult/involved (possibly beyond my means in terms of $$)? I'm hoping maybe this could result in some new function(s) for Octave as a bonus to the community if not all functionality needed for this exists.

Best,
CDB