Re: About resize() function

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: About resize() function
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:19:39 +0200

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 11:03 AM, David Bateman
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:24 AM, José Luis García Pallero
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>>> Ok, but the fact that some elements are not preserved if the new matrix
>>> is
>>> samaller is logical. I think that the help of the function is quite
>>> confused.
>>>

>> I agree. Also, the behaviour when given a single dimension argument is
>> not logical - IMHO, it should do a vector resize (similarly to what
>> assigning to a non-existent vector element does). I intend to patch
>> resize soon, after I finish the patch I'm now working on, improving
>> the speed of dense indexing and cleaning up the indexing code in
>> Array<T>.
>>
>> regards,
>>

> If you do check that if you have the Octave-forge comms toolbox installed
> something like
>
> m = 2;
> n = 2.^m;
> a = gf (floor(randn(10,10,n), m);
> b = tril (a)
>
> resize is used in tril and is used so that metadata in the input matrix (for
> the galois field about the primitive polynomial of the field), is preserved
> during the operation.

OK, so what? I'm not saying that resize is not useful, I'm just saying that
resize (x, m) should not mean the same as resize (x, m, m). resize
(zeros (3, 1), 4) should, IMHO, give zeros (4, 1), not zeros (4, 4) as
it gives now. That makes no sense to me.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert