Re: eigs using SuiteSparse

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: eigs using SuiteSparse
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:14:18 +0100

Boaz Ilan wrote:

Hello,

I need to use 'eigs' (sparse eigenvalue solver), preferably the one from
SuiteSparse, which I reckon is the fastest.

I am using a Mac G5/Tiger with Xcode 2.5 (gcc-4.0).
fink is configured to build from source using stable and unstable trees.

I used fink to compile octave 3.0.2. octave-atlas and suitesparse 3.1.0-1 got installed during the installing octave. I thought that was all that is
needed to have an 'eigs' command in octave, but there isn't one.

I also tried compiling ARPACK from sourceforge, but could not get 'make'
to work at all. My compilation know-how is obviously poor...

Could someone tell me what do I need to do to have 'eigs'?

Boaz

Tim Davis mentioned once (I forget where) that he was considering writing a sparse singular value decomposition function. However, that is a different beast than a full eigenvector solver like eigs. SuiteSparse just included a new set of functions for rapid QR decomposition and we should probably use these in Octave for the qr, mldivide and mrdivide functions. However there is still no svd in suitesparse. So your only option is ARPACK

D.
35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)