Re: Scilab is now GPL v2 compatible - as the site claims

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Scilab is now GPL v2 compatible - as the site claims
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:18:48 +0200

lør, 20 09 2008 kl. 23:57 -0700, skrev Sergei Steshenko:
> > Patches are more than welcome :-)
> >
> > Søren
>
> ???

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't have the knowledge nor time to
verify if your claim is correct, so all I can say is, if you want things
to improve in Octave-forge then we are more than willing to accept your
help, but we need something more concrete then simply "Scilab has
something better".

> If anybody is interested, he/she first has to verify my claim -

I got the impression YOU were indeed interested.

> my understanding of the algorithm is superficial, but, still, I think
> frep2tf has a functional piece its octave-forge counterpart doesn't have,
> and that is why the function is more accurate.

I don't know what this function does as it isn't my field.

> If my claim is correct, then octave-forge maintainers willhave to decide
> whether to add a new function based on fre2tf or to change the existing ne.

Octave-forge is developed by volunteers, and the package maintainers are
already low on time. We simply cannot investigate the details of a
function every time somebody mentions that a possibly better
implementation could be made. So, my "patches are more than welcome"
comment simply means, that we would love your help, but we need
something more concrete if you choose to help us.

Thanks,
Søren