Re: Gaussian fit of a peak

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Gaussian fit of a peak
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:08:03 -0400

On Wednesday, September 17, 2008, at 10:20AM, "Andrea Cimatoribus"
<address@hidden> wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>I am an absolute novice of octave, even though I have some experience
>with matlab.
>Just to get the feeling of octave, I am presently translating a simple
>(but very useful to me) script, that basically sums data with a peak
>structure. In order to do this properly, I need to centre each new
>spectrum on the zero, that is the peak maximum. My strategy, in
>matlab, was to make a preliminary gaussian fit, whose result was to be
>confirmed through a graphical input, to get the "zero" of the
>spectrum. As of now, I am trying to understand how can I make a
>gaussian fit of the data in octave. Data is simply organised as a
>matrix [x,y]. Is there a built function? Sorry but I can't find
>anything with online help.
>Andrea

How did you do it in Matlab?

If the data is statistical, then I'd recommend you calculate the median and
standard deviation and construct the gaussian distribution from that.

By "sums data with a peak structure" do you mean you are constructing a
histogram?

Ben