Problem linking libraries

From: Bergeron, William
Subject: Problem linking libraries
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:59:47 -0400

I have been able to run the configure for Octave successfully and have
complied all the required libraries (BLAS, FFTW, AMD, etc) but I have been
unable to figure out how to link them.  I tried all the standard stuf, like
adding the path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and putting the libraries in the
standard path, as well as several connotations (see below) of config
switches to try and get it to see the files but with no luck. The typical
output is listed below.

The source, libs, and includes are in /usr/local/src, lib, include
respectively. The OS is CetOS5 on and x86_64 architecture.

What do I need to configure to allow Octave to recognize the missing
libraries. All of which exist on the system.

Info:

Switch attempts:
./configure  --prefix=/share/apps --with-blas='-lmkl'
--with-lapack='-lmkl_lapack'

./configure LDFLAGS="-L/share/apps/lib" CPPFLAGS="-I/share/apps/usr/include"
--prefix=/share/apps F77=ifort FFLAGS='-openmp' --with-blas='-lmkl'
--with-lapack='-lmkl_lapack'

./configure LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -fPIC" CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include
-fPIC" --prefix=/share/apps --with-blas='-lmkl' --with-lapack='-lmkl_lapack'

./configure  --libdir=/usr/local/lib --includedir=/usr/local/include
--prefix=/share/apps --with-blas='-lmkl' --with-lapack='-lmkl_lapack'
 1075  ./configure  --libdir=/usr/local/lib --includedir=/

Typical configure output:
Octave is now configured for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

  Source directory:     .
  Installation prefix:  /share/apps
  C compiler:           gcc   -Wall -W -Wshadow -g -O2
  C++ compiler:         g++   -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -g -O2
  Fortran compiler:     f95 -O
  Fortran libraries:     -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2
-L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/../../../../lib64 -L/lib/../lib64
-L/usr/lib/../lib64 -lz -lgfortranbegin -lgfortran -lm -lgcc_s
  BLAS libraries:
  FFTW libraries:
  GLPK libraries:       -lglpk
  UMFPACK libraries:
  AMD libraries:
  CAMD libraries:       -lcamd
  COLAMD libraries:
  CCOLAMD libraries:
  CHOLMOD libraries:
  CXSPARSE libraries:
  HDF5 libraries:
  CURL libraries:
  REGEX libraries:      -lpcre
  QHULL libraries:    -lqhull
  LIBS:                 -lreadline  -lncurses -ldl -lz -lm
  Default pager:        less
  gnuplot:              gnuplot
  OPENGL libraries:     -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL -lGLU
  FLTK backend libs:
  Magick config:

  Do internal array bounds checking:  false
  Build static libraries:             false
  Build shared libraries:             true
  Dynamic Linking:                    true (dlopen)
  Include support for GNU readline:   true
  64-bit array dims and indexing:     false

configure: WARNING: I didn't find gperf, but it's only a problem if you need
to reconstruct oct-gperf.h
configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: AMD not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: COLAMD not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CCOLAMD not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CXSparse not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: FFTW library not found.  Octave will use the (slower)
FFTPACK library instead.
configure: WARNING: GraphicsMagick++ config script not found.  Assuming
GraphicsMagic++ library and header files are missing, so imread will not be
fully functional
configure: WARNING: HDF5 library not found.  Octave will not be able to save
or load HDF5 data files.
configure: WARNING: I didn't find makeinfo, but it's only a problem if you
need to reconstruct the Info version of the manual
configure: WARNING: I didn't find texi2dvi, but it's only a problem if you
need to reconstruct the DVI version of the manual
configure: WARNING: "FTGL headers not found. Native renderer will not have
on-screen text"
configure: WARNING: "FLTK config script not found.  Native graphics will be
disabled."
configure: WARNING:
configure: WARNING: I didn't find the necessary libraries to compile native
configure: WARNING: graphics. It isn't necessary to have native graphics
configure: WARNING: but you will have to use gnuplot or you won't be able
configure: WARNING: to use any of Octave's plotting commands
configure: WARNING:
configure: