Re: foil on benefits of octave over matlab

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: foil on benefits of octave over matlab
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 12:04:41 -0500

2008/8/3 Michael Creel <address@hidden>:
> One advantage is that you can run N copies on a cluster without having
> to buy N licenses. When N gets large, this is pretty important if your
> budget is limited.

I am not sure where Bharat Pathak resides, but if it's India, my guess
is that they don't take copyright law too seriously over there, and in
particular, they probably use unlicensed copies of Matlab. Money then
is hardly ever an important factor when considering what software to
use (and I know that in my own CIMAT [http://www.cimat.mx] such is the
case). Octave has to shine on its technical merits alone. Which I
think it does, and a large part of those merits is full availability
of source.

- Jordi G. H.