Compiling 3.0.1 for Solaris 10

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Compiling 3.0.1 for Solaris 10
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 14:34:39 -0400

http://blastwave.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/csw/users/michael/sources/specs/octave

| The spec has a few dependencies:
|
|   /usr/sbin/pkgadd -d http://www.blastwave.org/pkg_get.pkg
|   /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i wget
|   /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i gnuplot
|   /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i gcc3g++rt
|   /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i gcc3g77rt
|
| ./configure tells me I have no C-compiler. So:
|
|   /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i gcc3g77
|   /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i gcc3core
|   /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i gcc3g++
|
| (I tried gcc4, but found no g77 compiler at blastwave).

GCC 4.x should include gfortran, which should work fine to compile the
bits of Octave that are written in Fortran.

| Also gmake is needed as make fails:
|
|   /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i gmake

Yes, that's because Octave's Makefiles are intentionally written to be
dependent on GNU Make's features because it provides a lot of useful
features.  This is not a bug or something that we think needs to be
fixed.

| ./configure makes non-working Makefiles if not gsed is installed so:
|
|   /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i gsed

There are checks in the configure script that attempt to find a
working sed.  If that's not working, then it might be a bug.  If you
want to help fix this problem, then submit a complete bug report about
the failure to the address@hidden list.  Without more information, I
don't think it is likely that this problem will be fixed.

| install.info needs texinfo, so:
|
|   /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i texinfo

Why do you bother to mention this?  Clearly, you have to have the
tools to do the job.

| Then:
|   ./configure --prefix=/opt/csw --mandir=/opt/csw/share/man
| --infodir=/opt/csw/share/info --with-hdf5
|   gmake
|   gmake install
|
| Then:
|
| # gmake check
| gmake -f octMakefile check
| gmake[1]: Entering directory `/octave/octave-3.0.0'
| gmake -C test check
| gmake[2]: Entering directory `/octave/octave-3.0.0/test'
| ./build_sparse_tests.sh
| ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history ./fntests.m .
| gmake[2]: *** [check] Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
| gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/octave/octave-3.0.0/test'
| gmake[1]: *** [check] Error 2
| gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/octave/octave-3.0.0'
| gmake: *** [check] Error 2
|
| The core file is http://ange.dk/~tange/core.gz
| The output from configure is at: http://ange.dk/~tange/configure.log
| The output during compile is at: http://ange.dk/~tange/gmake.log
| The whole octave-3.0.0 directory after compile is at:
| http://ange.dk/~tange/octave-3.0.0.compiled.tar.bz2

Try installing gdb and running

  ./run-octave -g

to see where it crashes.

If you think this is a bug in Octave, then please submit a complete
bug report to the address@hidden list.  But first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to see what information you should
include so that the report is helpful.

jwe