Re: Octave C++ performance benchmarks?

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Octave C++ performance benchmarks?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:24:05 +0200

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Kyusik Chung <address@hidden> wrote:
> According to the GPL FAQ:
>
>> A company is running a modified version of a GPL'ed program on a web
>> site. Does the GPL say they must release their modified sources?
>> The GPL permits anyone to make a modified version and use it without
>> ever distributing it to others. What this company is doing is a
>> special case of that. Therefore, the company does not have to
>> release the modified sources.
>

> So what I am talking about is allowed under GPL.  If it werent, a lot
> of websites out there wouldnt exist (or GPL'd libraries wouldnt be as
> widely used).  If you disagree with the GPL, you could go with a
> different licensing scheme.  If you want to stick with GPL, why be
> hostile to people who want to use it according to the rules of GPL?
>
> In any case, Ive decided that Octave is not a good option for anyone
> who is trying to use matrix/vector/lin algebra functionality in their
> own C++ code (my original question).  As you pointed out, Octave is
> for end users to use in the interpreted environment, and using the
> libraries in your own code is just a bonus, if it works.

Not quite. The liboctave library contains a lot of useful features to
work with matrices and arrays. Certainly it's more convenient to use
than Matlab's mex interface. However, if you are developing just a
stand-alone application, I daresay there are more suitable libraries
to use.

> Plus, no one
> has contributed the time to put together any documentation, nor is
> that on any priority list.

Yeah, not even you. It's not hard to guess why this is a low priority
thing for Octave developers - they study how the sources work, and
then they know, and they no longer need such docs. I agree that it
would help people developing packages or linking the libs, but there
is a lot of other work.
Complaining that something missing is cheap. We all know that the
documentation is missing and would be useful. If you want it done,
consider making a donation for that purpose. I'm sure someone would
pick up the offer.

> Boost, FLENS, and O2scl seem like good options for using that kind of
> functionality.

Certainly. FLENS and uBlas are both good, though a little different in
their purpose.
But much of their functionality is just syntactic sugar (which I never
appreciated much).
I'm not familiar with o2scl. Unlike Octave libs, they were designed
from ground up to be building blocks. Octave libs were meant to
provide key algorithms and data management for Octave, which is what
they do, and do it well