RE: Configuring Octave

From: Labitt, Bruce
Subject: RE: Configuring Octave
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:44:32 -0400

<snip>
Make sure your LDFLAGS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables have
paths to 64 bit libraries before the ones to 32 bit libraries.

I guess you have a 64 bit system and want to build a 64 bit executable.

If you wish, I can send you my "latest and greatest" AppsFromScratch
that will hopefully build you 'octave' and all it needs locally, and
install it locally, not in system directories and not requiring root
permission.

This is how I build and use 'octave' and a lot of other things, even
though
I have root permission.

Regards,
  Sergei.

[Labitt, Bruce] I have a 64 bit system.  I wish to build a 64 bit
executable.
I used John Eaton's suggested configure statement

./configure --enable-64 LDFLAGS="-L/lib64 -L/usr/lib64"
            F77=gfortran FFLAGS="-fdefault-integer-8 -O2"

How do I make LDFLAGS have paths to 64 bit libraries before 32 bit
libraries?  Doesn't LDFLAGS have precedence over whatever is in your
environment?  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is empty.  Does this matter?

PATH = /usr/lib64/qt-3.3bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:
          /usr/X11R6/bin:/home/BDLabitt/bin

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=""

So far, every permutation I've tried has failed in the MAKE where
/usr/bin/ld cannot find lpcre.  The file libpcre.so and libpcre.a are in
/lib64 !!!

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpcre.so when searching
for -lpcre
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpcre.a when searching
for -lpcre
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpcre

For what ever it is worth I am running Scientific Linux 5.2 which I am
told is a RHEL 5.2 "clone".

Regards,
-Bruce