Re: Installing Octave on a web server

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: Installing Octave on a web server
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:57:55 -0400

On Jul 7, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Quentin Feyaerts wrote:
You can install the version of Octave that comes with your distribution.
Most distributions contain Octave, and unless you need the latest
version, the one that comes included should be fine.

This is where I'm stuck :P. I have asked hundreds of professional web hosters and none of them can tell me if Octave is installed on their servers (running on Linux or Windows). They all refer me to CGI/PERL scripts, but on google I have found that, to run a CGI script for Octave, Octave should be installed on the server. And I dunno how to install it.. do I have to upload the files of Octave on the server and that's it ?

The easiest way to go about this is probably to buy web hosting that includes shell access, and install octave in your user account. It sounds like you have file-transfer-only access.

If you have access to a computer that can build linux binaries you might be able to build a statically-linked octave and upload that. The "linux binaries" referred to by http://www.gnu.org/software/ octave/download.html are dynamically linked, and might look for libraries that your web server doesn't have installed.

If you uncompress octave-3.0.1.tar.gz you will just get the source code, which doesn't do anything unless you compile it.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Rob Mahurin