Re: Octave on Windows

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Octave on Windows
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:49:10 -0400

Michael Goffioul wrote:
Although this might not be obvious, octave does the same under Windows
than under Linux:
- it loads the system octaverc from the same location:
<octave_install_dir>/share/octave/3.0.1/m/startup/octaverc
- it loads the user .octaverc from the same location:
$HOME/.octaverc
- "edit" command uses the same default directory:
$HOME/octave

The problem is that the $HOME concept is not very common under
Windows. I'd say that the best way to find out where to put your
.octaverc is to type the following at octave prompt:

tilde_expand ('~\.octaverc')

I was actually looking into this yesterday, and where octave looks for the .octaverc file is %USERPROFILE%\.octaverc while if you type "edit ~/.octaverc", it tries to go to %USERPROFILE\octave\~\.octaverc . I looked into trying to fix this, but I couldn't quickly work through all the special cases in the edit.m.

For the problem of not being able to create a file named .octaverc
from Explorer, would I dare to say "Blame Microsoft!" :-)
More seriously, the question here is whether to introduce some
Windows-specific behavior in octave to work around a stupid
DOS-inherited problem of Explorer...
The competition uses startup.m. I posted a revision to some code by Kenneth Cate that would search for .octaverc or startup.m a few days ago that would be a simple fix (http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/bug-octave/2008-June/006238.html).

Have a good day,

Bill