environment variables with jEdit front end for Octave 3.0.1

From: Siddhartha
Subject: environment variables with jEdit front end for Octave 3.0.1
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:44:09 -0500

Hello,
I'm using jEdit as a alternative editor with Octave 3.0.1 on
a mac OSX leopard, but it seems I have to type in

edit editor "/Users/chemistry/jEdit.app/contents/MacOS/jedit
%s"

which is the path name to the editor(it is also the current
directory) every time I open a new Octave terminal

I know there must be some environmental variables that i
need to load to get rid of this annoying bug, but am not
sure how, or what those are....

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!
thanks,
siddhartha owens