Re: .eps file displays with gv but will not print

From: Bob Odom
Subject: Re: .eps file displays with gv but will not print
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 23:38:39 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, I did track it to gnuplot. I guess it's a "feature" not a bug. The
-dps devices don't have that problem, only the -deps devices. I had never run into a .eps file that wouldn't just print. Even eps2eps
produces a printable file with a %%Page line in. So I guess it's a
"quirk" if not a bug. Thanks to all for the thoughtful posts!

Bob

On Wed, 14 May 2008, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 13-May-2008, Bob Odom wrote:

| I think I found the problem, and it must be in either octave or gnuplot.
|
| There is a line in the CUPS error log for a non-printing file:
|
| E [13/May/2008:15:03:13 -0700] [Job 818] No %%Pages: comment in header!
|
| I looked at a file with no problems, and saw that directly below
| %%EndProlog  is the line
| %%Page: 1 1
|
| I manually edited the non-printing file and added the line "%%Page: 1 1"
| directly below the "%%EndProlog" statement. That file now prints.
|
| So the problem is in the generation of the PostScript. This seems to be
| a genuine bug, but is it an octave problem or a gnuplot problem?

It must be in gnuplot because gnuplot generates the PostScript, not
Octave.

jwe