RE: jhandles on windows problem

From: Hall, Benjamin
Subject: RE: jhandles on windows problem
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:54:45 -0400

Octave
>>  seg-faults before a prompt appears.  The same happens when I try to
execute
>>  "pkg laod jhandles".  I believe that the default version of java on our
>>  system is 1.4.2, but we've got 1.6.0 also available.  I've tried to
setup my
>>  environment to find 1.6, but none of my efforts have made any change in
the
>>  behavior.
>>
>>  Is there anything that I can try that might help me track down the
problem?
>>  Should I be able to run any of the .jar files outside of octave?
>
>You should make sure that Java 1.6 is the default one. Octave looks in
>the Windows registry to discover the JVM, using the key
>HKLM\software\javasoft\java runtime environment Currentversion
>
>Normally, this key is updated automatically when you install a new
>Java version.
>
>Michael.

It seems I don't have enough privileges to update the registry to point to a
newer version of java that is on our network (at least not yet...I am
looking into that battle too).  I poked a bit through the __java__.c to try
to see if there were any other tricks (for example, trying to start a 1.6
version of JVM before running octave), but I have been unsuccessful.

Would you consider allowing environment variables (such as JAVA_HOME) to
override the registry settings for locating the JVM?

Thanks again
Ben