octave's graphics interface / linux operating system

From: Dieter Jurzitza
Subject: octave's graphics interface / linux operating system
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 12:35:29 +0200

Dear listmembers,
I am using gnuplot output very regularly within documents I produce with
latex. In order to achieve a really good quality I found it very convenient
to produce postscript output and convert this to pdf afterwards.
Moreover, the attributes of the text, additional labels / arrows / whatsoever
can be integrated in the graph.

Now, through the recent modifications in octave, the direct access to gnuplot
through octave became more difficult - don't take me wrong I do not mind.
In order to further process the graphs I use additional code to output data
into files, prepare gnuplot configuration files and call gnuplot finally with
a system command out of octave. This is managable but circumstancial.

My question is now twofold:
1.) is it possible to force octave to write all data into files rather than
piping them into gnuplot (or does this happen anyway?)?
2.) is there a way to force octave to write it's gnuplot config file into a
gnuplot compiliant config file in order to simplify further gnuplot
processing of the data (and to not be forced to do everything manually)

Thank you very much,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)