Re: From Matlab to Octave

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: From Matlab to Octave
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:53:06 +0200

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>  On May 6, 2008, at 3:54 AM, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>

> > > No! I use vim. But vim does not have good syntax highlighting support
> for
> > > octave scripts. So you are probably better off with emacs or some other
> > > editor. I use vim because I am more familiar with it and do not have
> time
> > > to learn another editor.
> > >

> > I have adopted some of the Vim Matlab runtime files to be more
> Octave-friendly;
> > I've also found a quite decent syntax file somewhere on the web (and I
> > have enhanced that one, too). One day, I'll take the time to share
> > them at vim.org; for now, I can share non-officially if you are
> > interested.
> >

>  Please do.
>
>  Ben

I keep all my ViM customizations (.vimrc and .vim directory) packed at
<http://www.highegg.matfyz.cz/ulozna/fvim.tgz>; I've refreshed it now.
You can extract anything you want - it includes the popular matchit plugin,
the octave stuff, some fortran stuff, some c stuff etc. I've made
enhancements to
syntax/octave.vim and indent/octave.vim, but I'm not sure what exactly.
Indenting is better than ViM's matlab default, but there are still rough spots.

Who else is using ViM with Octave? Perhaps we can start a project to
develop something more mature and sophisticated than random hacks,
akin to ViM-LaTeX.

regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek