Re: Mac OS X: Octave and Gnuplot> sh: gnuplot: command not found

From: Mark McClure
Subject: Re: Mac OS X: Octave and Gnuplot> sh: gnuplot: command not found
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:46:43 -0700 (PDT)

athale-rernat wrote:

> I have added to my .profile file the following paths:
> alias
> gnuplot="/Applications/gnuplot/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot"
> alias
> octave="/Applications/gnuplot/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave"
>
> Gnuplot plots very nicely. Octave runs and does all non-graphical things I
> tried at first shot. When I call plot commands, I get an error:

The alias command sets up a variable that applies only in your shell.
It won't help octave find gnuplot.  You probably need to set up a symbolic
link to gnuplot in some directory on your path.  Try:

ln -s /Applications/gnuplot/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot \
/usr/local/bin/gnuplot

If this complains about permission precede this with a sudo and enter your
password when prompted.